Hello there! We are conducting a survey to better understand the user experience in making a first edit. If you have ever made an edit on Gamepedia, please fill out the survey. Thank you!
|A proprietary, custom-built engine|
|C# (client) • Java (server)|
|Windows • macOS • Linux (server)|
|Sandbox, fantasy, role-play|
Gameplay[edit | edit source]
Hytale features a procedurally-generated fantasy world composed of blocks of numerous shapes arranged in a three-dimensional grid. The world features different biomes, creatures, and dungeons. Players can participate in minigames, similar to those found in the Hypixel server, such as SkyWars and BedWars. Players will be able to build and share mods and custom content using a set of browser-based and in-game tools, including an in-game model editor called Hytale Model Maker. Hytale can be played in first person and third person view.
Adventure mode[edit | edit source]
Hytale will feature an adventure mode which includes procedurally-generated zones, made up of many biomes and including different encounters. This mode will feature RPG-styled combat for singleplayer and multiplayer and include dynamic boss encounters and dungeon exploration. Players can find overgrown towers and fight large bosses. Hytale contains many creatures, including animals, monsters and factions. Each zone contains different types of creatures, with some guarding the powerful gear.
Multiplayer[edit | edit source]
Many popular minigames from the Hypixel server will make their way into Hytale. It also will feature a character customizer which includes thousands of cosmetic items. Hytale will support large community run servers, and players can fight using a combat system built for multiplayer.
Tools[edit | edit source]
Hytale will feature block-based construction in both singleplayer and multiplayer which includes many different world editing tools. It will feature a Java scripting system which allows players to create and execute code in-game, and in-game cinematic tools for video creators. It will also feature the Hytale Model Maker which is a 3D modeling, texturing, and animation toolkit which runs on HTML where players can create custom assets and import them into the game itself.
History[edit | edit source]
The idea for developing a stand-alone game came after the 2014 EULA changes to Minecraft that prevented servers from selling non-cosmetic items, which lead to an 85% drop in Hypixel's revenue. They realised that they were not in complete control of their project and decided to develop their own game using a custom engine which can suit the needs of the Hytale developers. For example, the Turbo Kart Racers minigame could not zoom out the camera enough leading to players getting confused as to what was occurring; Hypixel Studios wanted their own game not to have such a problem.
Hypixel Studios approached Riot Games in 2016 who agreed to become an investor for Hytale. Hypixel Studios filed for a trademark of "Hytale" on 29 July 2016, which was accepted on 5 February 2019. Noxy made a post on the Hypixel Forums on 28 December 2016 explaining how the development of Hytale is going, and listing developers of the game. The game was announced to the public on 10 December 2018 in the form of a countdown on the Hytale website. A demo of the game was available to play at the Game Developers Conference (GDC) in California on 20 March 2019, and a brief history of Hytale was showcased at the EGX Rezzed 2019 expo.
Even after the game is released, Hytale will continue to recieve development versions and further updates.
Development[edit | edit source]
Trailer[edit | edit source]
The trailer for Hytale was released on 13 December 2018, and amassed over 30 million views within a month. After the release of the trailer, articles have been posted to the Hytale blog explaining different aspects of the game.
Gallery[edit | edit source]
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Before the name "Hytale" was decided, it was referred to as "Standalone".
- Aaron Donaghey names Neverwinter Nights as an influence for the adventure mode of Hytale.
References[edit | edit source]
- "The Hytale FAQ" – Hytale.com, 13 December 2018.
- "An overview of Hytale's server technology" – Hytale.com
- "RPS Presents: The Story Of Hytale | Developer Sessions | EGX Rezzed 2019" – EGX on YouTube, 6 April 2019
- "Hytale is a Minecraft follow-up that remembers the Minigames" – RockPaperShotgun, 20 December 2018.
- "Riot Games Leads Investment in Hypixel Game Studio" – The Hollywood Reporter
- "Hytale" – Trademarkia
- "The Road Ahead" by NoxyD. Hypixel Forums, 28 December 2016.
- "Countdown" (archived) – Hytale.com via the Wayback Machine, 10 December 2018.
- "Highlight of #GDC19 so far - hanging with Noxy in his hotel room and playing a demo of @Hytale. The game looks incredible, we’re excited!" – @TebexSupport on Twitter, 20 March 2019
- "We are going to update the game for years to come, it might not be released with all the features we would like to see, but at least it's our game and we can do whatever we want with it :)" – @Simon_Hypixel on Twitter, 9 April 2019
- "Hytale is a brand new game from giants of the Minecraft community, backed by Riot" – Eurogamer, 13 December 2018.
- "First Trailer of 'Minecraft' Inspired Game 'Hytale' Has 31 Million Views In Less Than 30 Days" by Tyler Fischer. ComicBook.com, 12 January 2019.
- "Q&A from the Patreon Discord server with Simon and NoxyD from Hypixel" by ITheDragoon. AutCraft Forums, 6 March 2019.
[edit | edit source]