|14 April 2013 (6 years ago)|
Hypixel (fully the Hypixel Network) is the biggest Minecraft: Java Edition multiplayer server, run by Hypixel Inc. Hypixel features dozens of different minigames on its server which cover many different play styles.
History[edit | edit source]
Hypixel is the most popular multiplayer server for Minecraft: Java Edition, founded on 14 April 2013 by Simon Collins-Laflamme and Philippe Touchette. The two originally created custom Minecraft adventure maps and uploaded them to their YouTube channel before creating the Hypixel server to showcase their creations. They then created small minigames for users to play while waiting to join the main adventure maps; the first of which being Paintball. Many more minigames were created after many players started joining the server.
The server attracts around two million players each month. In December 2016, Hypixel reached 10 million unique players in total, and has a total of 14 million unique logins as of December 2018, which is roughly half of all Java Edition players. On 9 September 2019, Hypixel reached its highest concurrent player count with 90,600 players playing on the server at once.
On 13 December 2018, Hytale was announced to be in development by Hypixel Studios, a newly-founded company by the creators of Hypixel, with support from Riot Games and a group of veteran game developers and industry experts. Hytale had been in development since mid-2015 and currently has an unknown release date.
Minigames[edit | edit source]
Hypixel offers 43 different minigames, the most popular of which are SkyWars, BedWars, and Survival Games. The server also features beta games in its prototype lobby where players can vote on which games they would like to see fully released.
Hytale[edit | edit source]
Records[edit | edit source]
|Most popular independent server for a video game||64,533 concurrent players||7 July 2017|
|Most popular Minecraft server network|
|Most unique players logged in to a Minecraft server||11,982,298 total players||24 August 2017|
|Most games on a Minecraft server||43 minigames||11 August 2017|
References[edit | edit source]
- "RPS Presents: The Story Of Hytale | Developer Sessions | EGX Rezzed 2019" – EGX on YouTube, 6 April 2019
- "The Future Of Minecraft's Biggest Server" by Alex Wiltshire. Rock Paper Shotgun, 15 September 2015.
- "The Uncertain Future of Minecraft's Independent Servers" by Robert Guthrie. Kotaku.
- "Riot Games Leads Investment in Hypixel Game Studio" – Hollywood Reporter.
- "90.6k player peak today, what" – @Simon_Hypixel on Twitter, 9 September 2019
- "Internet security expert links massive botnet DDoS attacks to Minecraft disputes" – PC Gamer.
- "Hypixel Studios, the team behind the world’s largest mod server, announce their first standalone game: Hytale" – Hypixel Studios.
- "It's Official - Hypixel holds 4 Guinness World Records" – Hypixel.net.
[edit | edit source]